National Dairy Month: Why You Should Be Drinking Plant Based!
Did you know that June is National Dairy Month?
National Dairy Month started out as a way to distribute extra milk during the warm months of summer. The commemoration was established in 1937 by grocer organizations sponsoring “National Milk Month.” By 1939, June became the official “dairy month.”
A lot has changed since 1939 and so has American’s taste for dairy milk. According to the Department of Agriculture, from 2013 to 2017, the number of gallons of cow milk consumed in a household per week decreased by 12.2%, while the number of gallons for plant based alternatives such as almond and soy milk, increased by 35.7%.
Opting for plant-based leads to:
- Increase in biodiversity
- Reduction of deforestation and soil degradation
- Reduction in water use and pollution
- Reduction in CO2 emissions
- Major nutritional benefits
Not all plant-based milks are created equal. Some plant milk contain more wellness and health benefits than others. For instance, nut milks like macadamia milk are packed with nutrients, making for an excellent source of Omega-3 which are known to have a beneficial effect on eye, brain, and heart health!
Plant-based milk is not only good for your health but for the environment too. Each plant-based milk has a unique environmental impact to consider — but one thing is clear: Most dairy-free plant-based milk is better than cow's milk for the environment, since the amount of water, grain and land, machinery, and greenhouse gas emissions involved in raising cows is one of the highest contributors to global warming.
How to celebrate National Alt-Dairy Month this month and beyond!
- Enjoy your favorite plant-based dairy products! Make a super simple summertime treat like Dirt Cups or pour on top of your go-to cereal brand
- Refuel with a nutrient-packed smoothie or Smoothie Popsicles!
- Add to any barista creation for a frothy matcha or Espresso-Based Latte